- Faculty & Staff
Automotive and Fleet Services is responsible for managing and maintaining the campus fleet of vehicles and motorized equipment. The staff provides mechanical support to over 100 licensed vehicles and 40 unlicensed pieces of motorized equipment including lawn mowers, tractors, backhoes, man-lifts and the Zamboni. This department is responsible for all repairs, maintenance, painting and annual inspections. The staff is N.Y.S. certified to perform annual vehicle inspections. In addition to maintaining the campus fleet, the staff repairs damaged snow blowers and floor cleaning equipment. They repair the campus emergency generators located in many of the buildings on campus and respond to fleet vehicle accidents and equipment malfunctions.
Automotive and Fleet Services maintains the gasoline fueling system, which provides fuel, using a special key identification system, to all campus vehicles and equipment including the Faculty Student Association (FSA) vehicles. In addition, the department cleans, fuels and prepares all fleet vehicle and athletic vehicle requests for use by campus personnel. The staff provides expert recommendations for the purchase and replacement of vehicles and equipment.
The campus fleet vehicles are available for use by campus personnel. The fleet includes sedans, minivans, 8 passenger vans and 12 passenger vans. All fleet vehicles are equipped with EZ-Pass for use on the New York State Thruway and many other toll roads for your convenience. The EZ-Pass does not work on all highways. Individuals traveling in Canada and out of state should inquire as to the availability of the EZ-Pass.
Guidelines for obtaining fleet vehicles
- Keys may be picked up at the Office of University Services at 402 Maytum, Monday – Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. during Fall/Spring, and between 8:30 a.m. and 3:45 p.m. during Summer. Bring your approved vehicle request form to obtain keys.
- Please park your locked personal vehicle in the designated overnight parking area located to the west of the Services Complex.
- No private vehicle parking is permitted inside the services complex.
- When returning a fleet vehicle, the driver is required to fill in the ending mileage, sign the vehicle request from at the bottom and turn in the request form and keys to drop box located in the vestibule at the garage.
- Please clean all debris from the vehicle.
- Lost and found items are kept at the Office of University Services.
Guidelines for use of the gas card.
The gas card is located in the glove compartments of all fleet vehicles.
- The card in the vehicle is specifically for that vehicle.
- When using the card for fuel and/or oil purchases, you must use your business pin number.
- To activate the card, simply place a zero at the start of your five digit business pin.
- An odometer reading of the vehicle you are using must be entered when prompted at the pump.
These procedures for campus vehicle fuel and/or oil purchases affect all campus personnel. If you are a new faculty/staff employee and do not have a pin access number for campus use, please ask your supervisor to send a memo or e-mail to University Accounting, 401 Maytum Hall for authorization of a pin number.
Rules for use of the campus fleet
- Operation of State vehicles must be in full compliance with all New York State laws.
- All eligible drivers must be employees of New York State or other authorized personnel, and have a valid driver's license. Individuals must be at least 18 years of age.
- Passengers must be State/SUNY employees / students on official state business. Candidates for recruitment activities are considered on official state business.
- Family members of the persons using a university vehicle on official state business are not authorized as passengers in the university vehicle unless they are also on official state business.
- Smoking in State vehicles is prohibited.
- Driving under the influence of drugs/alcohol is prohibited.
- Possession and/or use of alcohol, illegal drugs or other intoxicating substances in the vehicle is strictly forbidden.
- Use of cellular phones without a hands-free cellular phone adapter is prohibited.
- Items are not permitted to be placed on the roofs of vehicles.